Last Updated: Jan 8th, 2015 - 07:42:25

Man sentenced to 5 years in drug ripoff that ended in killing
By Blake Belden, Staff Writer
Dec 10, 2013, 16:18

CHESTERFIELD — A former Virginia State University student who was involved in a drug deal gone wrong and the killing of a Petersburg drug dealer was sentenced to five years in prison following a plea agreement in Chesterfield County Circuit Court on November 12.

As part of the plea agreement, Khaliq Oliver, 21, pleaded guilty to attempted robbery,  the conspiracy to commit robbery, the use of a firearm in an attempted robbery and being an accessory after the fact to second-degree murder, a misdemeanor that was brought down from his original charge of first-degree murder, a felony, according to court documents.

Judge Steven McCallum sentenced Oliver to a total of 24 years, with 19 suspended, in the event that Oliver follows the legal terms of his probation after his five-year term is up, according to court records.

Oliver, who was originally scheduled to go to a jury trial on Nov. 13 before making the plea agreement Nov. 12, will receive credit for the 20 months he has spent in jail since his arrest last year, court records indicated.

The prosecution, led by Larry Hogan and Melissa Hoy, agreed to extract two of Oliver’s charges, conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and the use of a firearm in a murder, in accordance with his plea, according to court documents.

The convictions stem from an incident that occurred on April 17, 2012, where Oliver had arranged to meet Tyrail Hughes, 20, at a Virginia Credit Union on VSU’s campus to buy one ounce of marijuana for $425.

Oliver, who had no intention of paying for the drugs, brought along Ryan Christopher Simms, 20, to hide out of sight in case anything went wrong.

After Oliver fled Hughes’s car with the stolen marijuana, Hughes ran after him where he confronted a group of students whom he mistakenly believed to be involved in the theft of his drugs.

Simms, coming out of hiding, approached the group while Hughes held a revolver at his side and told the men to “run their pockets” to see whether they stole his marijuana or not.

As the altercation escalated, Simms pulled a .380-caliber semiautomatic handgun from his pants and fired nine bullets from the magazine.

Four bullets hit Hughes and another shot struck William Penn, a bystander, in the foot.
According to an autopsy report, Hughes was shot three times in the torso and pelvis and once in the right hand, and that “friends attempted to transport him to the hospital and, en route, T-boned a bus.”

Hughes’s cause of death was a gunshot wound to the abdomen, the report said.

Simms was convicted of seven charges including second-degree murder in May, for which he was sentenced to 63 years in prison.

Copyright © 2004 - present