Last Updated: Mar 31st, 2014 - 14:20:42


Man dies in house fire
By Staff Reports
Feb 10, 2014, 13:30

CHESTERFIELD FIRE AND EMS A home in the 3200 Appleford Drive in the Chester area was damaged by a fire Sunday and a man was found dead.

CHESTERFIELD — A man was found dead after a kitchen fire damaged a home Sunday afternoon.

The Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded at 2:32 p.m. to 3200 Appleford Drive, in the southern Chester area, for the report of a house fire. Fire crews arrived on scene to find heavy smoke conditions throughout the house. They were notified by a resident that there was someone still inside the home. Crews located one male victim in a first-floor bedroom. They rescued the victim from the house and transported him to Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center in Richmond where he was later pronounced dead.  The body will be transported to the Medical Examiner’s Office for positive identification and cause of death.

Chesterfield County Fire Marshals have determined the fire was accidental and started in the kitchen as a result of a pan left unattended on the stove.

This fire came after another fire damaged a home Saturday afternoon in the western area of Chester.

The Chesterfield County Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded at 1:59 p.m. to 5203 West Hundred Road for the report of a house fire. Fire crews arrived on scene to find heavy fire conditions throughout the house. Two adult residents were at home at the time of the fire and evacuated on their own; however, one was treated on scene for smoke inhalation. It took fire crews approximately twenty-five minutes to get the fire under control.

Chesterfield County Fire Marshals have determined the fire was accidental and started in the bedroom as a result of a space heater plugged into an extension cord.

Copyright © 2004 - present hopewellnews.com