Last Updated: May 16th, 2014 - 12:32:22


Home catches fire again
By Caitlin Davis, Senior Staff Writer
Mar 22, 2014, 16:08

JAMES PEACEMAKER JR./HOPEWELL NEWS/NEWS-PATRIOT Just the outer shell remains of a home at 136 S. 25th St., Hopewell, after a fire last week.

HOPEWELL — For the second time in less than a year, the house located at 136 S 25th Street in Hopewell sustained a large amount of fire damage. The fire for the second incident still remains under investigation, according to Fire Marshal Jim Reid.

Around 1:50 a.m. March 11, Hopewell Fire and EMS responded to the residence to get the fire under control. The last until cleared from the scene around 12:19 p.m. According to the fire report, the estimated damage of the fire was $110,800.

The fire was so large that a residence at the 2000 block of Johnson Street, adjacent to the property, sustained heat damage. The fire caused damage to the siding of the house and damage to the plastic areas on the driverside of the vehicle.

At the time of the fire there were no residents living at the home. The house was undergoing renovations from the first fire, which occurred in the fall of 2013.

In the fire report generated shortly after the incident, there were several observations made by the responding firemen on scene.

“…There were no furnishings inside the structure, the fuel load was very limited for the extreme volume of fire on arrival, the fire was well advanced and the structure was heavily involved on our arrival, no power to the structure…it is the conclusion…that the fire appeared incendiary in nature and was referred to the Fire Marshal for investigation.”

The cause of the first fire was ruled accidental. There were occupants living in the residence at the time of the fire, but there were no injuries.

On Oct. 8, 2013, Hopewell Fire and EMS responded to the home around 8:22 p.m. Crews cleared the scene around 11:07 p.m. after getting the fire under control. The estimated cost of the damage was a total of $40,000, with $30,000 in property damage and $10,000 in content damage.

“Following debris removal it appeared that the caused of the ignition was located in an electrical receptacle…” the fire report from the incident states. “The breaker box was located and the breaker to the garage was tripped.”

Copyright © 2004 - present hopewellnews.com