Last Updated: Jun 6th, 2014 - 11:45:04


Woman dies after fire in Chester
By Becky Robinette Wright, Correspondent
Jun 3, 2014, 13:36

CHESTERFIELD FIRE AND EMS/CONTRIBUTED PHOTO A fire official works at the scene Sunday in the 4100 block of Hamlin Court in Chester.
CHESTERFIELD — One woman has died after fire engulfed a house in the 4100 block of Hamlin Court in Chester early Sunday morning.

Fire and medical personnel from multiple fire stations along with county police were dispatched to the blaze around 2:15 a.m.

Red-orange flames crept up along the walls of the home and pierced through the roof. Thick choking smoke blanketed the neighborhood and fire hoses criss-crossed the street and yard like a thick web.

Officials said four adults and two children were in the house at the time the fire broke out. Two women were trapped in the burning upstairs portion of the house. One woman jumped from a two-story window. The second woman, who later died, had to be rescued. All were taken to the hospital.

Lt. Jason Elmore of Chesterfield Fire and EMS said one firefighter received a minor injury.

CHESTERFIELD FIRE AND EMS/CONTRIBUTED PHOTOS
The stench of burnt wood was pungent in the air throughout the neighborhood, and as a stark reminder of the tragic fire, several children’s toys were in the front yard. Pieces of melted shingles dotted the yard and other burned debris lay to one side of the house.

The condition of the residents has not been released.

The cause of the fire has been determined to be smoking materials discarded into a potted plant on the front porch, Elmore said.

Copyright © 2004 - present hopewellnews.com