Last Updated: Apr 27th, 2015 - 11:04:56

Arrests made in string of crimes
By BLAKE BELDEN, staff writer
Jun 25, 2014, 00:29

JAMES PEACEMAKER, JR./HOPEWELL NEWS/NEWS-PATRIOT Colonial Heights man was shot at this intersection while walking back from a store.
COLONIAL HEIGHTS — Three Petersburg  men have been arrested in connection to a shooting and an attempted robbery in Colonial Heights over the last several days.

Wayne Jackson, 22, Hodari M. Taylor, 19, and Michael Alexander Walker, 26, have been charged with attempted robbery and the conspiracy to commit robbery for an incident on Wakefield Avenue on Saturday when a victim was shot while driving away in her vehicle.

Jackson has also been charged with robbery and malicious wounding for an armed robbery, in which a man was shot in the abdomen, that occurred behind the Goodwill store on the Boulevard early Tuesday morning.

Colonial Heights detectives cooperated with Petersburg investigators to determine a suspect vehicle that had been involved in multiple area robberies, authorities said.

When the vehicle was later spotted in Colonial Heights on Tuesday afternoon, a car chase resulted in the apprehension of the three suspects following pursuit from a traffic stop, police said.

Petersburg Sheriff’s Office K-9 units, Petersburg police along with both air and ground units from the Chesterfield Police Department assisted in Tuesday’s arrests.

All three suspects are being held at Riverside Regional Jail without bond, according to the police.

Tuesday’s armed robbery occurred at approximately 2:30 a.m., at the intersection of Maple Avenue and Franklin Avenue, across the street from the Colonial Heights police station.

The victim’s niece, Jennifer Keppler, said that the victim was robbed of his wallet, glasses, a Redbox movie and chocolate milk after walking back to his residence from a convenience store down the street. She said he had little money in his wallet.

Keppler said her uncle was hit in the back of the head and then shot while he was lying on his stomach.

On Tuesday afternoon, Keppler said that her uncle received staples in his head, and the bullet would be left in his abdomen because removing it could have dangerous health impacts. He was scheduled to leave the hospital later in the day.

Sgt. Rob Ruxer, with the Colonial Heights Police Department, said that the victim was transported to the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center and is expected to make a full recovery.

Keppler’s sister, Kelly Kilbourne, said that their uncle did not have a phone on him during the robbery, and that he attempted to walk to the police station to receive help. After walking in the lobby and finding nobody there, Kilbourne said her uncle walked back out into the street where a passerby stopped and offered to help.

Keppler insisted that the incident had nothing to do with drugs, something that people might assume based on the time of night and location behind a store, and that “my uncle doesn’t do drugs. ... He doesn’t even curse.”

Although Jackson has been charged in the malicious wounding and armed robbery, two suspects were described in the incident.

Detectives are still searching for a person involved in the crime, however no name has been identified and no warrants are outstanding, Ruxer said on Wednesday afternoon.

According to authorities, one robber is described as a black male 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 9 inches tall approximately 160 pounds with short hair and glasses, last seen wearing all black or dark clothing. The second robber was described as a black male, 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall approximately 185 pounds with short hair, last seen wearing dark clothing. One of the robbers had a handgun.

Following Tuesday morning’s robbery, many Colonial Heights residents took to social media to voice their concerns about the victim not getting help at the police station.

No police officer is designated to be in the police station after business hours unless “somebody comes in with official police business,” Ruxer said.

The police station’s front lobby, which is open at all hours, is video monitored by dispatch personnel and there is a telephone on the wall for emergency purposes, according to police.

“There are several signs that clearly indicate, if nobody is in the lobby ... to pick up the red phone and ... it will connect you directly to  a dispatcher,” Ruxer said of anyone who is in need of emergency and walks into the police station.

Keppler admitted that it’s not an easy job for police officers and that they usually do the best they can, but she thought maybe the police department needed to re-evaluate certain protocol, including their presence at the station at night and more patrolling of back streets.

Anyone with more information in regards to these incidents is encouraged to contact Crime Solvers at (804) 748-0660.

Copyright © 2004 - present