Rail work will bring detours
By Staff Reports
Jul 14, 2014, 15:31
CHESTERFIELD — Beginning July 15, CSX will intermittently close railroad crossings for repairs and maintenance throughout the region. Drivers in Chesterfield County and Colonial Heights may be affected on multiple routes as crews progress along the tracks. Depending on location, some closures may be in place from one to three days.
Weather permitting, local drivers can expect closures at the Branders Bridge Road crossing, near Weldon Street, on July 15 and 22, and the Dupuy Road crossing, near Loyal Avenue, July 15 and 22.
The Pine Forest Drive crossing, near the Millside neighborhood just north of Colonial Heights, will be closed July 16 and 23.
Originally, the work on Pine Forest Drive crossing was expected to last several days but officials from Chesterfield County and VDOT, in cooperation with CSX and Altria, worked together to develop an alternative plan that will lessen the impact on residents of the Millside neighborhood and people who drive in this area, located at the Chesterfield County/Colonial Heights line.
CSX plans to complete work in one direction on July 16, and then work in the other direction on July 23. On both days, the Pine Forest Drive crossing will be re-opened before CSX leaves at the end of the day, barring any unforeseen circumstances such as equipment breakdown.
Communications have been distributed within the Millside neighborhood and message boards are already in place on Pine Forest Drive announcing the planned detour.
Flaggers will also direct traffic on Jefferson Davis Highway, just north of Mangowood Drive in southern Chesterfield, from 6 a.m.-6 p.m. on July 16 for repairs to the overpass railway.
Other closures in Chesterfield include:
• The Curtis Street crossing, at the Railroad Street intersection, will be closed July 28 and August 4
• The West Street crossing, between Winfree Street and Richmond Street, will be closed July 28 and August 4
• The Centralia Road crossing, west of Chester Road, will be closed July 29 and August 5
• The Thurston Road crossing, near the Hopkins Road intersection, will be closed July 29 and August 5
• The Kingsland Road crossing, near the Firethorn Lane intersection, will be closed July 29 and August 5
• The Walmsley Boulevard crossing, between the Atlantic Avenue and Caldwell Avenue intersections, will be closed July 31 and August 7
• The Broad Rock Road crossing, near the E. Belt Boulevard intersection, will be closed August 11
• The Terminal Avenue crossing, near the E. Belt Boulevard intersection, will be closed August 11
• The Jahnke Road crossing, near Clarence Street intersection, will be closed August 12
• The Bassett Avenue crossing, between the Hill Top Drive and Burrough Ridge Road intersections, will be closed August 12
The schedule is subject to change. For the latest real-time traffic information or road conditions, call 511 or visit http://www.511virginia.org.