Last Updated: Apr 27th, 2015 - 11:04:56

Barricade situation locks down Fort Lee
By Caitlin Davis and Blake Belden, Staff Writers
Aug 25, 2014, 12:26

CAITLIN DAVIS/HOPEWELL NEWS/NEWS-PATRIOT Maj. Gen. Stephen Lyons delivered a press conference following the shooting at Fort Lee on Monday morning.
FORT LEE — Fort Lee went on lockdown Monday morning when an armed female soldier barricaded herself in a room on the base and eventually shot herself.

At approximately 8:45 a.m., a female soldier stationed at Fort Lee, armed with a small caliber, non service weapon,  barricaded herself on the third floor of the CASCOM building, as reported in a press conference by Maj. Gen. Stephen Lyons, the commanding general at Fort Lee.

Lyons said that the soldier went into a rampage and began throwing items around the office, before soldiers on post and law enforcement officials began negotiating and communicating with her in an attempt to calm her down.

Despite the best efforts of the communicating officers, the female soldier turned the weapon on herself and fired a single shot into her head area. She was transported to Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center in Richmond with serious injuries and was pronounced dead later that day, according to Fort Lee.

"We are sad for our soldier in arms, however we are equally grateful. The situation could have been worse," Lyons said.

No other injuries were reported during the incident.

Fort Lee went on lockdown for about an hour, and the Lee Avenue Gate was still closed at noon.
1,100 people were in the building when the incident occurred, which officials were able to isolate rapidly, and the whole incident was over in less than one hour, Lyons said.

Authorities are not releasing the soldier's identity at this time, but it was reported that she is a first class sergeant who has been in the military for 14 years, and was deployed to Iraq in 2007 for 15 months.

Fort Lee issued an all clear status at 9:50 a.m., however the Lee Avenue Gate was still closed at noon.

Special Agents from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command were on scene to investigate the incident.

Copyright © 2004 - present